Monday, August 5, 2013

New Season Starts Today

The 2013-2014 season is upon us!  First day of training is today and I'm ready and excited for the challenges that lay in front for myself and my players.  The week and next week the focus will be on Passing and Receiving for my U11G and U12B which will lead into possession.  My U13s will focusing on a lot of keeping possession of the ball which will lead into spaces being reduced so they are able to cope with the challenges of working in a confined space.

The main focuses of these training sessions will be the proper techniques of passing and receiving but a lot of focus will be put into awareness of the space around them.  Players will be instructed to "check their shoulder" to see the information and they can make the proper decision.  This is a huge skill to possess and unfortunately a skill that is overlooked way to much.  These two videos should highlight the importance of this skill: Scholes and Xavi.  This is a huge skill that I will be coaching a lot this season because the more a player can see and assess, the better decisions they will make.

Now, it's off to the dentist before I head out to training and looks like I'll be getting a little wet.

Sincerely,
     Derek McMullen

@CoachDerekMc 
Facebook
LinkedIn

No comments:

Post a Comment