Friday, August 30, 2013

8/29/13 Recap

In this post I want to talk about a game I had my teams play this past two weeks.  It was a 1v1 to a single goal game.  For my boys, especially U12, they absolutely LOVED this game.  I seriously think I could have done that for the entire training and they would have been content.  What I noticed with this enjoyment they for the game, their skills and confidence on the ball improved significantly.  I really enjoyed watching them play this game.  I put a video together that I plan on posting on my Facebook page.

My girls on the other hand did not enjoy it as much as my boys.  When watching them I could tell they just didn't enjoy it as much.  I just did not get it.  So I talked to them and they said they didn't mind it, just would rather do something else.  After I told them how the boys loved this game they said maybe it's because they're girls.  They did say they loved the bag game though.  Which is where players play 3v1 and try and hit a bag in the middle to score points.  My only guess is that it is because of the gender.  Boys tend to be more about themselves and girls are more about the group, especially at the younger ages.  Which kind of explains why one game is favored by each gender more.  1v1 is all about the individual and 3v1 is about the group.  Unfortunately the girls lost out on the benefits the 1v1 game has for their skills.

I found this interesting and I may have the other trainers try these games with their teams and have them let me know if they notice the same thing.  It could just be my girls though.

Took this right before I went on.


Last week I presented the curriculum I designed for the club, I'm really excited with the reception I've received on it.  Nothing negative, but I'd guess no one would tell me to my face if they thought it was bad.  Like I told some of the parents that have talked to me about it, now is the hardest part and implementing it and having everyone develop to fit into our style of play.  But I also think this is the fun part..

Lastly, I hope Ashley and Ivenn get better soon.  Both had to drop out of the tournament this weekend.  Ashley broke her pinky and all of the girls were really sad to hear about her being out for awhile.  Ivenn won't be ready for tournament either because he just won't be ready in time from his recovery

Sincerely,
     Derek McMullen
@CoachDerekMc 
Facebook
LinkedIn

No comments:

Post a Comment