Wednesday, November 20, 2013

ODP

This year I've been given the opportunity to coach with the Illinois ODP program.  I am an assistant coach with the 02 younger boys and I'll be working with Rick Cey who'll be the head coach for the group.  I haven't met him yet but I've been told by multiple people that he is really good to work with and I'll learn a lot.  So I am really excited to get started with my age group this weekend.

I have already helped coach within the ODP program twice now.  I helped with a clinic down in Bloomington, IL and then I helped with the 99 girls group this past weekend.  The clinic was really fun to participate in and it was a real joy to watch some of these players play.  The first group was players from my age group and the players from Morton has some good quality and they knew how to play the game right.  There were three that stood out the most but one especially had real potential to make the team.  He was very smooth on the ball and he didn't lose possession easily.  There were also quite a few girls there that had some good qualities.  One in particular, she was very quick and skillful and didn't lose possession easily.  Her decision making was good and would be a valuable asset to the team. 


When I helped out with the 99 girls it was an official ODP event and it helped me get the first one under my belt and get a good feel for the days procedure.  I worked with some really good coaches in Paul Webster and Chris Brown.  They were very supportive in any advice and questions I had.  The talent on hand was impressive, especially for me because I usually don't see players at this level.

Besides the talent, it was also really nice to not have to deal with side talking or players goofing around.  These players were focused and came to play.  This mentality is the reason they were here and could play at this level.  The players that goof around will be watching these players from the sidelines.

So far the overall experience with ODP, Rick and Jen has been really positive.  It has opened a lot of doors and opportunities that I did not have access to before.  I've been part of meetings that have allowed me to network and brainstorm ideas.  It's always a pleasure to see how other clubs and coaches operate.  I've been included in the development of the training sessions for the entire ODP process.  I've really grabbed onto this opportunity and I feel only more good things will happen being a part of ODP and Illinois Youth Soccer.

If you don't know what ODP is or want to learn more, here are a few links:

About Illinois ODP

ODP FAQ

Sincerely,
   Derek McMullen
@CoachDerekMc 
Facebook
LinkedIn

No comments:

Post a Comment